Fair Housing Rights Training for Senior Advocates in Muskegon County
Thursday, September 19, 2019
9 am - 11 am - 560 Seminole Rd, Norton Shores, MI 49444
The Fair Housing Center of West Michigan is pleased to offer a FREE training on fair housing rights for seniors and those serving seniors in Muskegon County. Participants must be advocates for seniors in Muskegon County. Topics include:
- overview and updates regarding the protections for senior citizens under federal, state and local fair housing laws;
- data on the current state of fair housing for seniors;
- definitions and examples of reasonable accommodations and modifications for seniors with disabilities;
- best practices for making or providing support requests for accommodations and modifications in senior housing.
Attendees will also learn more about the broad implications of housing discrimination for Muskegon County as well as what services the FHCWM offers.
The training is offered free of charge through the Muskegon County Senior Millage. Advanced registration is required. This training may appeal to outreach workers, social service agencies, seniors, civil rights/disability rights advocates, those serving seniors or people with disabilities, and others interested in aging in place. Although, participants must be advocates for seniors in Muskegon County. Register online or download registration form.
Who Should Attend Fair Housing Training?
Members of the housing industry can undertand their rights and responsibilities under law, thus preventing possible violations. Social service agencies can assure that their clients receive equal treatment under fair housing law through understanding and identifying housing discrimination. Community members can help promote diverse, open communities by being aware of discrimination and working with the Fair Housing Center to address it, or by volunteering as a tester.
Training topics include:
- Services provided by the Fair Housing Center
- Housing discrimination, including current examples
- Federal, State and Local Fair Housing Laws
- 11 Protected Classes Under Law
- Application of Fair Housing Law
- Equal Housing Opportunity Logos and Publisher's Statement
- Fair Housing Tester Training
To schedule a fair housing training for your organization, call the Fair Housing Center at (616) 451-2980 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.