Fair Housing Training for Kent County Senior Advocates
The Fair Housing Center of West Michigan is offering a complimentary training on fair housing rights for older adults and those serving older adults in Kent County. The training is on Thursday, November 4, 2021 from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm and will be held online via Zoom.
- an overview of the fair housing rights of older adults (and others),
- in-depth look at fair housing case management and advocacy,
- how to recognize and report housing discrimination experienced by seniors,
- the options that clients have to pursue or maintain their fair housing choice, and
- how the FHCWM can help older adults, social service providers, advocates, family members and beyond!
Attendees will also learn more about the broad implications of housing discrimination for Kent County. The training is underwritten by the Kent County Senior Millage.
NOTE: Advanced registration is required. Registrants will receive a Zoom link and instructions to join once their registration is approved. Participants must be advocates for seniors in Kent County.
This training may appeal to outreach workers, social service agencies, seniors, civil rights/disability rights advocates, those serving seniors or people with disabilities, and others interested in aging in place.
If you have questions or need assistance registering, please email Brianna Miranda.
Who Should Attend Fair Housing Training?
Members of the housing industry can undertand their rights and responsibilities under law, thus preventing possible violations. Social service agencies can assure that their clients receive equal treatment under fair housing law through understanding and identifying housing discrimination. Community members can help promote diverse, open communities by being aware of discrimination and working with the Fair Housing Center to address it, or by volunteering as a tester.
Training topics include:
- Services provided by the Fair Housing Center
- Housing discrimination, including current examples
- Federal, State and Local Fair Housing Laws
- 11 Protected Classes Under Law
- Application of Fair Housing Law
- Equal Housing Opportunity Logos and Publisher's Statement
- Fair Housing Tester Training
To schedule a fair housing training for your organization, call the Fair Housing Center at (616) 451-2980 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.