8:30 - 10:00 am
Our annual 11th Lakeshore Friends of Fair Housing: Opening Doors to Housing Choice Breakfast will be held on Thursday, October 5, 2017 in Holland at 8:30 a.m. at the Baker Lofts. There is no cost to attend however advance registration is required. Details here. Register here. Please note online registration will close September 21, 2017 at 12:00 pm.
NEW FACT SHEETS!
To help address questions around hot topics in housing, the Center has developed two new fact sheets on Criminal Background Screening and Occupancy Standards. These fact sheets serve to summarize HUD's guidance on these two areas and offer ways to evaluate current or future policies & practices to ensure equal housing opportunity. These and other resources can be found under the publications page. Call for more information or if you have questions about these new materials!
The FHCWM welcomes all to our community!
Regardless of immigration or refugee status, national origin, or religion- The Fair Housing Act protects you from housing discrimination based on national origin, religion, and other protected characteristics. If you feel you are being discriminated against because of your immigration or refugee status, ability to speak English, national origin, or religious beliefs- call our office for help!
Here are some signs of possible discrimination:
- refuse to rent to you because you are an immigrant or refugee or because of your religious faith;
- refuse to rent to you because you are not from the United States;
- charge you more rent or a higher security deposit because of where you are from, your immigration status, or because of your religious faith;
- require you to get a co-signer because you are an immigrant, refugee or because of your religion;
- tell you not to cook food you like because of the smell;
- refuse to rent to you because you or some of your family members do not speak English;
- tell you that you must speak English when outside of your apartment;
- force you to choose an apartment near other people who are from the same country, speak the same language as you, or are of the same religion;
- enforce rules against you or your family because you are an immigrant or refugee or because of your religion but not enforce those rules against anyone else.
Fact Sheet: Fair Housing for Refugees
While refugees are not a specific protected class under fair housing law, the protections against housing discrimination on the basis of national origin often extend to refugees. Download this fact sheet to learn more. Call (616) 451-2980 if you have questions about your rights or responsibilities to the Act.